The swimming impact report gives you an overview of how our expenditure on swimming impacts on the outcomes of our pupils in swimming and water safety.
| Number of pupils and swimming lesson expenditure for 2019-20
|Total number of pupils in Year 5
|Total amount spent on swimming SLA (Service Level Agreement) to Blackburn with Darwen
|Cost of transport
|Additional coaching costs (Phil Eastwood, Sports Coach)
|Total Expenditure on Swimming
Provision for swimming at Lower Darwen Primary School
- Pupils in Year 5 attend weekly swimming lessons (35 weeks). Our sports coach attends swimming lessons as well as the swimming instructors so that more children can be supported during swimming lessons and the children working at above expectations can be taught in a separate group.
- Teaching assistants use visual cards to support hearing impaired pupils and work 1:1 with the children during lessons.
Impact on pupils of swimming lesson expenditure
Due to Covid-19 and school closure only 19 out of 35 lessons were completed and this assesses impact up to March 2020.
- The majority of pupils (85 %) were on track to leave school as confident swimmers.
- All children understand the importance of health and safety in the water and confidently use water safety skills: 100% of pupils pass their water safety test by the end of Year 6. These lessons were completed before lockdown.
- 85% of pupils could confidently swim 25m. (36 out of 42 pupils).
- At the time of lockdown, 4 pupils not achieving 25m were on track to reach this. By June 2020. Our pupils with additional physical needs were making at least good progress given their starting points in their physical development, water confidence and water safety skills.
- As 85% of pupils could swim 25m, the pupils were taught to develop a wide range of strokes. 42% of pupils, (18 pupils). Are competent swimmers in at least two strokes.
- 42% of pupils demonstrate high levels of achievement in all strokes are able to compete with proficiency in elite competitions. At this year’s swimming gala, our pupils won 2 gold, 4 silver and 5 bronze medals.
- Unfortunately, due to Covid-19, the Swimming Gala 2020 was cancelled.
* Please note the expenditure on swimming is financed through the school's budget share and not the school's PE and Sports Grant.